6/11/2014 7:57 P.M. ET
Despite struggles, Price satisfied with effort
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
CINCINNATI -- The struggling Reds have yet to catch fire and rip off a long winning streak this season. Losses have been more commonplace than in recent memory, and the team isn't overcoming early deficits.
Reds manager Bryan Price isn't satisfied with his team's won-loss record, but doesn't believe his team has grown comfortable or complacent with losing. However, he's had to handle one issue.
"To me, what verifies if guys are still expecting to win is the effort that you get on the field," Price said on Wednesday. "There are times here in the last week where we've had a couple of guys that haven't run the ball out hard. That's disappointing to me. That bothers me and we address it and we'll continue to address it and not allow it to permeate the ballclub.
"What we need are guys that bust their tail every day. As long as we get that, it's hard to complain."
Mesoraco sits, but hamstring not an issue
CINCINNATI -- For a moment, the Reds were worried that catcher Devin Mesoraco had sustained another leg injury on Tuesday night. Mesoraco is OK, however.
Mesoraco, who hustled for an infield single in the seventh inning of a 6-1 loss to the Dodgers, was examined by manager Bryan Price and the trainer after he had to scamper back to first base on Skip Schumaker's lineout to third base. Mesoraco, who spent nearly three weeks on the disabled list in April and May with a strained left hamstring, showed signs of discomfort.
"He had a little bit of discomfort, but they checked him. It looks like he's fine. He had a little bit of a tweak," Price said on Wednesday. "That was my concern that maybe he had re-aggravated his hamstring and that could have certainly been a huge setback. I think we're confident it's not going to be a big issue."
Neither Price, nor Mesoraco, would detail where he felt something.
"It's nothing to worry about," Mesoraco said. "All is fine. No problems."
Mesoraco -- in a 3-for-22 skid during the homestand -- was not in Wednesday's lineup vs. the Dodgers, but that was expected since backup catcher Brayan Pena usually works with ace Johnny Cueto.
With the Reds' offense struggling, Price was asked if he was tempted to alter his usual plan and have the right-handed-hitting Mesoraco in the lineup vs. lefty Hyun-Jin Ryu.
"The temptation is to keep getting really good results from Johnny as far as how he pitches," Price replied. "We're going to have collectively be better offensively. Devin hasn't been swinging the bat great lately. That's part of baseball. He had unbelievable first 80 at-bats and then he's done what most people do -- hit a little ebb in the production and then he'll come back and be a great offensive force for us."
Cozart back in lineup after being hit in head
CINCINNATI -- Reds shortstop Zack Cozart showed no ill-effects Wednesday afternoon after being hit in the helmet by a pitch from Dodgers right-hander Josh Beckett on Tuesday.
"I went to bed at 2 o'clock and I'm a big sleeper. But I woke up at nine wide awake. It was kind of weird. I felt pretty good," Cozart said.
Cozart, who was in the lineup on Wednesday, was down for a few moments in the fifth inning when an 84-mph pitch banged off the front of the helmet near the left ear flap. He stayed in the game and hit a single in the seventh. Cozart said he underwent testing as protocol for any head trauma and passed easily.
In 2012, Cozart was also hit in the head by a Dodgers pitcher, Chad Billingsley, and came out of that game.
"I remember Dusty [Baker] came out there and said 'Your eyes just don't look right.' So he took me out of the game," Cozart said. "I did the concussion protocol and everything with the doctors and I passed. I played the next day."
Marmol placed on restricted list
CINCINNATI -- Veteran reliever Carlos Marmol, who was signed to a Minor League contract by the Reds on May 27, was placed on the restricted list Wednesday for leaving the Triple-A Louisville club without permission.
No other details were provided. On Tuesday, Marmol took the loss against Pawtucket when he had an erratic bottom of the 10th. He allowed two walks, two wild pitches and a hit.
In three appearances for Louisville, totaling 3 2/3 innings, the 31-year-old Marmol allowed three earned runs, two hits and six walks with six strikeouts. Command issues have plagued the right-hander in recent seasons in the Majors.
• For the first time in franchise history, the Reds wore "digi-camo" uniforms for the second Military Appreciation Day of the season. Among many pregame festivities was the celebration of the United States Army's 238th birthday.
• The Reds announced the signing of four picks from the 2014 First-Year Player Draft on Wednesday. They were right-hander Tejay Antone (fifth round), left-hander Jacob Moody (17th round), right-hander Tyler Parmenter (21st round) and first baseman Paul Kronenfeld (25th round).