1/22/2014 6:57 P.M. ET
Reds back off on Sizemore, who signs with Red Sox
Club had been in talks with veteran outfielder, who is looking to make comeback
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
CINCINNATI -- The Reds had been talking with free-agent outfielder Grady Sizemore this winter about making his comeback attempt with them.
Now those efforts are done. In a radio interview with ESPN 1450 in Bowling Green, Ky., Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said that Sizemore, who has been out of the Majors since 2011, will not be coming to Cincinnati.
"Not gonna happen. Things have changed," Jocketty said in a quote posted by the station on Twitter.
WEEI radio in Boston reported later Wednesday that Sizemore, 31, signed a one-year big league contract with the Red Sox. The deal is worth $750,000 but can reach $6 million with incentives.
Once a three-time All-Star for the Indians from 2004-11, Sizemore's career has been derailed by injuries -- including the need for microfracture surgery on both knees.
Reports over the weekend said the Reds were in advanced talks with Sizemore's representatives. The club was seeking to add some center-field and leadoff protection behind rookie Billy Hamilton.
It appears that Jocketty will not be seeking any other options beyond Sizemore.
"Right now, we have the club we're going to Spring Training with. We'll make changes as we need," Jocketty told the station.
Even without Sizemore, the Reds do have two backup center fielders already on their roster in Chris Heisey and offseason free-agent acquisition Skip Schumaker.