5/3/2013 7:55 P.M. ET
Cueto has setback in checkup, rehab start scratched
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
CHICAGO -- An old injury has returned to haunt Reds ace Johnny Cueto, who had a setback during a checkup on Thursday in Cincinnati.
Cueto, who has been on the 15-day disabled list since April 15 because of a strained right lat muscle, came down with soreness in his right oblique. His rehab assignment start that was scheduled for Friday at Double-A Pensacola has been scratched.
"He had a good bullpen [session Monday] and he didn't experience anything in his arm, but he experienced soreness in that oblique that he hurt last year in the playoffs," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "So we'll wait and see."
Cueto was forced to exit Game 1 of the National League Division Series at San Francisco after only eight pitches because of a strained right oblique.
On Monday, Cueto threw 45 pitches in the bullpen -- his second mound session since going on the DL -- and used all of his pitches. He threw lightly again on Tuesday, again without issue.
"I always say 'Wait until the next day.' You hope there's nothing, but this time, there was something," Baker said.
Cueto will be examined again on Monday and a potential rehab schedule will be updated then. Rookie Tony Cingrani, who will make his fourth start since replacing Cueto against the Cubs on Saturday, is 2-0 with a 1.50 ERA.
"I'm sure Johnny is as disappointed as anybody," Baker said. "He wants to pitch and help us. Good thing we have the kid and we're pitching well."
Latos on target to pitch after hip tightness
CHICAGO -- Reds starter Mat Latos remains on schedule to start vs. the Cubs on Sunday after he experienced tightness in his right hip during his previous start.
"It feels good," Latos said on Friday morning. "I've been throwing and doing my running and lifting with bands to not put any pressure on it just to be sure. But it's been fine."
Pushed back an extra day because of Thursday's off-day, Latos threw his side session in the bullpen.
Latos pitched six scoreless innings and threw 91 pitches in a 2-1 victory over the Cardinals on Monday. He felt the tightness after hitting in the second inning and decided it was best not to continue pitching after the sixth.
"We already lost Johnny [Cueto to an injury]," Latos said. "I'm not going to risk anything further where I can't get my leg up in the position like I normally can. If it's a problem, then you're risking something else getting bothered. I just told them this had happened and they said they would get somebody up."
The weather forecast isn't optimal for keeping loose this weekend in Chicago, as chilly temperatures and rain are expected.
"I might have to jump in the hot tub after every inning," joked Latos, who is 2-0 with a 1.83 ERA in six starts and has a streak of 17 scoreless innings.
Baker manages to get Phillips two days off
CHICAGO -- Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips was not in Friday's lineup vs. the Cubs. Cesar Izturis started at second base while Todd Frazier moved up two spots to bat in Phillips' usual No. 4 spot.
Reds manager Dusty Baker likes to give veterans a day off before or after a scheduled day off for the team.
"He's playing his butt off. I told him before the series started in St. Louis that I was going to try and get him two days in a row," Baker said. "I hate to [rest him with] the way he's playing."
Phillips entered the day batting .289 with five home runs and a team-leading 26 RBIs. He had a homer and an RBI double during Wednesday's loss at St. Louis.
"The last game he was responsible for both of our runs. But you've got to do what's best for the long run," Baker said. "It's going to keep him strong, productive."
Frazier had an RBI double and walked, and Izturis walked twice.
• Reds starting pitcher Homer Bailey turned 27 years old on Friday.
• Outfielder Mark Teahen, who was acquired Wednesday from the D-backs' Triple-A club, was sent back on Friday because of undisclosed issues with his physical, according to the Reds. Teahen was expected to add depth at Triple-A Louisville.