04/20/2013 6:57 PM ET
Marshall closer to return after second 'pen session
Reds reliever could head to Minors rehab stint before being activated from DL
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
CINCINNATI -- Reds left-handed reliever Sean Marshall threw his second bullpen session on Saturday since going on the disabled list. A Minor League rehab assignment could be in the plans soon.
"Some pitching would be good," Marshall said before going to the bullpen for his session. "Here, there or wherever. I just need to get back on the mound and throw some pitches that matter."
Marshall, who went on the DL on April 10 (retroactive to April 8) with tendinitis in his left shoulder, is eligible for activation on Tuesday. The club must still decide whether or not he could use a game or two in the Minors to see how he bounces back before bringing him back.
On Thursday, Marshall threw his first bullpen session and reported no issues. He planned to increase the count and mix up his pitches in the second session.
"My arm has been feeling great and really strong," Marshall said. "My arm strength is really good, especially in the long-toss sessions I've had and the bullpen. It's been smooth and the ball is coming out of my fingertips real nice too. We'll keep getting better and stronger. It's been on a good path so far. The trainers are doing a great job."
Marshall, who came down with shoulder fatigue during Spring Training, has made only one appearance for the Reds this season. He threw a perfect inning vs. the Nationals on April 7.
Hanigan sits out with sore thumb
CINCINNATI -- Reds catcher Ryan Hanigan did not start on Saturday vs. the Marlins, as he's been bothered by a sore right thumb since last week.
Devin Mesoraco took Hanigan's place in the lineup and played all 13 innings in Cincinnati's 3-2 win over Miami.
"It's getting worse, not better," Hanigan said. "It's some sort of sprain in the ligament or capsule or something. It's lingering constantly, so I'm trying to calm it down."
Hanigan has been Bronson Arroyo's regular catcher the past four seasons. The last time Arroyo did not have Hanigan catching for him was Sept. 27, 2011, vs. the Mets. Hanigan was injured and Mesoraco caught the game as Arroyo allowed four runs and nine hits over eight innings.
On Saturday, Arroyo held the Marlins to just a pair of runs in eight innings.
Although nagged by the thumb since it was struck by a foul ball at St. Louis on April 9, Hanigan has struggled offensively. He entered the day batting .079 (3-for-38). A MRI exam taken on the thumb recently showed no serious damage.
Hanigan avoided speculation about whether he might need to go on the disabled list. Besides Hanigan and Mesoraco, the Reds do not have any other catchers on the 40-man roster. Veteran Corky Miller would be a logical choice to come up from Triple-A Louisville if there is a need.
"I don't know. We'll have to see what they want to do," Hanigan said. "I don't want to comment on that until I talk to them."
Cozart injures fingers on bunt; X-rays negative
CINCINNATI -- Reds shortstop Zack Cozart exited the Reds' 3-2 win Saturday over the Marlins during the final rally in the bottom of the 13th after he injured the index and middle fingers on his right hand while attempting to bunt. Cozart squared against reliever Steve Cishek when his fingers were struck while the bat made contact for a foul ball.
As a precaution, Cozart left the game, but X-rays were negative for a fracture. He had two very swollen fingers, however.
"I'm relieved. It's not broke," said Cozart, who went 0-for-6 in the game. "These two fingers right here got pinched against the bat. It's pretty sore. The good news is hopefully I won't be out at all."
Reds taking it slow, steady with Cueto
CINCINNATI -- Reds rotation ace Johnny Cueto has yet to resume throwing since going on the 15-day disabled list Monday with a strained right lat muscle.
That doesn't mean Cueto hasn't shown some improvement. The medical staff is being deliberate with the progression.
"We're strengthening it before we start throwing," Reds head trainer Paul Lessard said. "We want to calm it down first. He's feeling much better. It will still be a few days. We want to make sure it's right before he attempts to throw."
Cueto was injured while pitching vs. the Pirates on April 13. He is eligible to be activated on April 29. Rookie left-hander Tony Cingrani replaced Cueto in the rotation.
• Reliever Nick Masset, who missed all of last season with a torn anterior capsule in his right shoulder and had surgery in September, is no longer throwing. Masset was long tossing on flat ground throughout Spring Training, but has since had a setback. He is currently on a strengthening program.
• Reds starting pitchers allowed two runs or fewer in five straight games going into Saturday. They hadn't held an opponent to two runs or fewer in six straight games since July 2010.