4/13/2013 8:10 P.M. ET
Reds, MLB honor Jackie Robinson on Monday, April 15
All players to wear Number 42 for Reds vs. Phillies game at 7:10 p.m.
By / MLB.com
CINCINNATI (April 13, 2013) - The Cincinnati Reds and Major League Baseball will celebrate Jackie Robinson Day on Monday, April 15 to honor the legacy of the legendary Hall of Famer and all players and on-field personnel will wear Number 42.
The annual celebration to commemorate the 66th anniversary of Robinson breaking baseball's color barrier in 1947 will feature ceremonies and events at Great American Ball Park that include:
• Jackie Robinson Foundation scholar alumnus Brittany Jones throwing out a ceremonial first pitch.
• SBM Management Services will accept the 2013 Most Valuable Diverse Business Partner Award from Reds COO Phil Castellini and Sean Rugless, President and CEO of the African-American Chamber of Commerce. The award is presented annually by the Reds and Major League Baseball.
• The Black Lawyers Association of Cincinnati will honor Hamilton County Municipal Court Judge Cheryl Grant along with three scholarship recipients.
• "Slick" Willie Shaw of the Harlem Globetrotters will be the Honorary Captain of the game.
• 42: The Jackie Robinson Story movie trailer will be shown pregame and fan giveaways throughout the game will be movie tickets and promotional items from the movie.
Fans can visit the Reds Hall of Fame & Museum to see highlighted artifacts from Jackie Robinson, including:
• 1954 All-Star team-signed ball (featuring Jackie's signature) showcased in the "Signature Reds" exhibit.
• A photo of Jackie at second base ensuring that New York Giants outfielder Bobby Thompson touches the base in the "The Shot Heard 'Round the World" NL-pennant winning home run from 1951.
"The game of baseball continues to feel the influence of Jackie Robinson on the field and in the stands," said Rick Walls, Executive Director of the Reds Hall of Fame & Museum. "His courage and determination through extreme adversity serves as an inspiration to us all. The Number 42, worn proudly on our uniforms on April 15 and displayed continuously in ballparks across the nation, serves as a reminder and pays tribute to how one man transformed the game. We are proud to join Major League Baseball in celebrating Robinson's legacy and immeasurable contributions."
Additionally, on Monday morning at 9:42 a.m. EST, baseball fans worldwide will be encouraged to commemorate Jackie Robinson Day with a worldwide Twitter thank you using the hashtag: #Jackie42.
This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.