02/13/2013 4:09 PM ET
Baker unenthused about Cueto playing in Classic
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Reds ace Johnny Cueto said Tuesday he would like to pitch for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic.
On Wednesday, Reds manager Dusty Baker wasn't too enthusiastic about the idea.
"Not especially," Baker said. "I can understand the pressures that come from pitching and being from Latin America. There is more national pride than anybody I've almost seen."
Cueto was not listed on the provisional Classic roster submitted by the Dominicans last month. He is coming off a strained right oblique injury suffered during the playoffs, but says he's been pain free the entire off-season.
In 2009, when Cueto and then-teammate Edinson Volquez pitched in the Classic for the Dominican, both players spent time on the disabled list. Cueto suffered inflammation in his right shoulder in August while Volquez suffered a torn elbow ligament and needed Tommy John surgery.
However, Baker understands why pitchers like Cueto want to represent their country.
"You see how big the Caribbean Series for bragging rights is in Latin America, where they think it could be where the best overall baseball is played," Baker said. "I've played in Mexico, Venezuela and Puerto Rico, so I know the pressures that come from being there. All I know is the last time they played was the year Volquez and Cueto both came up hurt."
Bailey Reds' lone remaining arbitration case
GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Six down, one to go in Reds arbitration cases. Now that Mat Latos signed a two-year deal on Tuesday, rotation mate Homer Bailey is the only one left for the club.
There are no indications a deal will get done soon. Bailey's arbitration hearing is scheduled for Monday.
"It's kind of a slow process. We'll see how it goes and go from there," Bailey said on Wednesday.
The Reds have not gone to an arbitration hearing since defeating Chris Reitsma in 2004. This week, Shin-Soo Choo signed a one-year, $7.3 million contract to avoid arbitration. Last month, reliever Logan Ondrusek signed a two-year, $2.3 million deal with lots of incentive clauses. Pitcher Mike Leake was signed to a one-year, $3.06 million contract last week. Outfielder Chris Heisey got a one-year, $1.325 million contract and reliever Alfredo Simon inked a one-year, $890,000 contract.
Latos' deal was worth $11.5 million and came just before his hearing was scheduled.
"I think both sides really don't want to go to hearing, on any case -- not just mine," Bailey said. "It's good they reached an agreement with Mat. I know he was looking forward to it. I'm sure the organization is glad they got that done."
When numbers were exchanged in January, Bailey filed at $5.8 million, while the club offered $4.75 million – a difference of $1,050,000. Represented by the Hendricks Brothers, he avoided arbitration last winter by signing a one-year, $2.5 million contract.
Cingrani to remain a starter in spring camp
GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- The plan remains to have Reds lefty pitching prospect Tony Cingrani pitch as a starter in camp. The expectation is that Cingrani can begin the season at Triple-A Louisville and be backup depth if someone in the big league rotation goes down.
As a September call-up, Cingrani worked out of the bullpen, but the Reds don't have any thoughts on doing that this season.
"He can always relieve," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "But he's got to work on his breaking ball to make him a complete pitcher. There aren't many power left-handers around. The ones that are, are very good."
Cingrani, 23, was the organization's Minor League Pitcher of the Year in 2012 after he went a combined 10-4 with a 1.73 ERA at Class A Bakersfield and Double-A Pensacola. He posted a 1.80 ERA in three appearances for the Reds.
"He knows he can pitch," Baker said. "He's one of the few guys I've seen that pitches with just his fastball and occasional breaking balls and some changeups."
• Reds outfielder Jay Bruce and third baseman Jack Hannahan were the latest early arrivals to camp among position players. Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips are among those who have not been seen but they aren't required to report until Friday.
• Cueto, Bailey, Latos, Leake, Aroldis Chapman, Sean Marshall and Jonathan Broxton were among the pitchers who threw their first bullpen sessions of Spring Training on Wednesday.