07/31/12 7:38 PM ET
Reds put Bray on DL, recall Redmond
By Mark Clements / MLB.com
Bray was on the DL earlier this season with a strained left groin that bothered him during Spring Training. He returned to the Reds on June 22.
"It's probably all related," said Reds manager Dusty Baker. "Like that old song, 'The ankle bone is connected to the knee bone, the knee bone is connected to the hip bone.' Sometimes when one thing happens to something, you end up favoring something else."
Bray has made nine appearances since his return. In just six innings since coming off the DL, Bray has struggled to find the strike zone, allowing one hit but walking 11 batters.
The southpaw has tallied 14 walks in as many games this season, after surrendering 17 walks in 79 games all of last year.
"Hopefully we can get him right and have him down the stretch," Baker said. "Right now, we only have one left-hander in Marshall out there. We're doing the best we can to mix and match and just try to win as many ballgames and finish as strong as we can."
The Reds recalled right-handed reliever Todd Redmond to replace Bray on Tuesday and designated fellow righty Andrew Brackman for assignment. Redmond was viewed as bullpen insurance after starter Mike Leake lasted just 1 2/3 innings on Monday.
"Our bullpen is big-time short [Tuesday]," Baker said. "It would have been even shorter without Redmond here, who's a starter who can give us some innings."
Redmond's spot may be on jeopardy though, as the Reds acquired closer Jonathan Broxton from the Royals on Trade Deadline day. Broxton is expected to arrive in Cincinnati on Wednesday.
Mesoraco in Reds' lineup day after ejection
CINCINNATI -- No word had been given as of Tuesday afternoon as to whether Reds rookie catcher Devin Mesoraco's ejection from Monday night's game will result in any further consequences.
Mesoraco was thrown out of the game by home-plate umpire Chad Fairchild in the third inning of the Reds' 11-5 loss to the Padres for arguing balls and strikes. The exchange got heated and Mesoraco made contact with Fairchild as he was being restrained by manager Dusty Baker.
"It happened and for me, there's nothing that can be done about it now," Mesoraco said. "It's over with and I'm going to move on."
Mesoraco said he isn't familiar with the process for suspensions or fines, and he was back in the Reds' lineup Tuesday to catch for Homer Bailey.
"I think that's kind of what I expected, just to go out there and play. I just continue what I've been doing and go about my business," Mesoraco said. "It happened and nothing can be done about it now. It wasn't the first time I ever got thrown out, and I'm sure it won't be the last. It's just something that happened and something that's over with now, and [I'll] move on."
Mesoraco and Ryan Hanigan are the only two catchers on the Reds' 40-man roster. Either Dioner Navarro or Corky Miller could get summoned to replace Mesoraco if he is suspended, but that would mean an additional roster move would be needed.
Baker simply said, "It's too early," when asked if he's heard any new news on a punishment.
Stubbs, Cozart afforded a rest day from Dusty
CINCINNATI -- With the Reds approaching one of the toughest stretches of the season, manager Dusty Baker continues to rest regulars. Shortstop Zack Cozart and center fielder Drew Stubbs were not in Tuesday's lineup vs. the Padres.
Stubbs cooled any suspicions of a Cincinnati departure shortly before the 4 p.m. Trade Deadline by noting that Baker told him and Cozart about the off-day following Monday night's game.
"It's nice to have some days of rest here or there," Stubbs said. "I understand that any time [Baker] feels the need to give us the day off when we've got a lot of games coming up, it's good to take it. In that case, we usually don't come take any extra swings. We normally just kind of get an actual day off."
Stubbs came in batting .340 with four home runs over his previous 14 games. But Baker felt his matchup was less favorable for Stubbs, who is 1-for-6 with five strikeouts against Padres starter Jason Marquis.
The Reds are also in a stretch of 53 games in 56 days, including a current stretch of 17 consecutive games followed by another streak of 17-consecutive games entering August.
"This is the epitome of dog days in August," Baker said. "I'm going to have to give some guys some time off in order to keep them strong. This is where you want a capable bench. This is where you want to have some interchangeable parts and you want some depth. If not, you'll just wear them right down. If you get worn out, there's no return.
"In Cozart's case, I've got to give him some time off to keep him strong down the stretch. I told Stubbs and Cozart, 'Make sure you eat a lot today, drink a lot of liquids, sleep late.' We're on a tough stretch here."
Baker also said the high altitude of playing in Colorado, where the Reds just wrapped up a three-game sweep of the Rockies, can tire out a player when making the transition back home.
"One thing about leaving Colorado, for whatever reason, I don't know if it's altitude or whatever, it takes a lot out of you," Baker said. "Not to make excuses or alibis, but our guys will be better today. Our guys were kind of out of it [Monday], everybody."
Brennaman asks fans to donate for shaving spectacle
CINCINNATI -- Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman has announced that he would shave his head on the field of Great American Ball Park on Friday night. But there is one caveat -- Brennaman wants fans to donate at least $20,000 to the Reds Community Fund.
Brennaman said he would shave his head bald if the Reds won 10 straight games and is now turning the deal into a fundraiser. The Red secured victory No. 10 on Sunday at Colorado and players on the club remembered the pledge. Brennaman did not back down.
"If the fans can raise $20,000 or more for the Reds Community Fund, I will agree to have it done on the field, after the game and before the fireworks," said Brennaman. "I'm taking this opportunity to make good on my promise to shave my head while encouraging fans to make a donation to a charity that is very close to my heart."
If the $20,000 plateau is not reached, Brennaman will still have his head shaved. But it will be done in private by his personal barber and he will reveal his new look for fans to see during Friday night's game.
Joey Votto continued to make strides in his recovery, lightly taking swings behind the cages during the Reds' batting practice Tuesday. He has yet to take full swings in the cages. Votto had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee July 17.
Mark Clements is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.