© 2010 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

04/30/10 8:36 PM ET

Reds place Dickerson on DL, call up Heisey

ST. LOUIS -- The Reds placed outfielder Chris Dickerson on the 15-day disabled list on Friday with a broken bone in his right wrist. Outfielder Chris Heisey was recalled from Triple-A Louisville, receiving his first Major League promotion.

Dickerson left Thursday's game in Houston after striking out in the top of the second inning. He was sent back to Cincinnati on Friday for an MRI test that revealed a broken hook on the hamate bone. The club will know by Saturday how much time he might miss.

In 20 games this season, Dickerson is batting .227 with no homers or RBIs and 19 strikeouts. He had been mired in a 2-for-22 slump.

"We couldn't come in here short," manager Dusty Baker said before the extent of Dickerson's injury was known. "Anybody that's had a hand problem knows they don't go away quickly."

Heisey, who was the Reds' 2009 Minor League Player of the Year, was batting .241 with four homers and 13 RBIs in 20 games for Louisville. However, the 25-year-old was 14-for-47 (.298) over his past 11 games and was riding a seven-game hitting streak.

"I've been feeling a lot more comfortable," said Heisey, who will wear No. 28. "Once you're going bad and you lose that confidence, it takes a little bit to get out of it. I was feeling a lot better the last week or so."

Heisey can play all three outfield spots for the Reds. He increased his time in center field last season when Drew Stubbs was promoted to the Majors.

"He can run," Baker said. "He was a better hitter than he was hitting down there. He was coming on pretty good. He is confident."

Heisey wasn't expecting to be called up

ST. LOUIS -- With Triple-A Louisville playing a day game at Scranton on Thursday, Chris Heisey made a two-hour drive home to Mechanicsburg, Pa., to see his family. That's when the good news came via Bats manager Rick Sweet.

"I was actually in the car with my brother and we just pulled up to the restaurant and were sitting in the car -- that's when I got the phone call," Heisey said. "I told Rick I was going home after the game. He said keep your cell phone on just in case. He had no idea either. It was the furthest thing from my mind. I was planning on spending the night at my house and eating breakfast in the morning and leave around 1 p.m. the next day to get there for a 7 p.m. game [in Buffalo]."

Heisey couldn't reach the Louisville clubhouse manager to get his equipment before flying to St. Louis out of Scranton. He had to borrow stuff from teammates. Scott Rolen gave Heisey a pair of spikes to get by for the time being.

"I've got to figure it out for one night," Heisey said. "They're going to get it here tomorrow. I will be OK. It's nice to have your own stuff like gloves and cleats. You have them all broken in how you like them. For one day, I can get over it."

Heisey's wife, brother and best friend were able to join him in St. Louis. However, much of his family is in Indiana, where his sister, Katie, is graduating from Bethel College on Saturday.

"I got drafted on the day she graduated from high school," he said. "She told me before this year started, 'Don't you dare get called up on the day I graduate from college.'"

Herrera has been solid out of Reds' bullpen

ST. LOUIS -- Screwball throwing lefty reliever Daniel Ray Herrera hasn't allowed a run in his past nine appearances. Herrera replaced Bronson Arroyo in the seventh inning and faced one batter in Thursday's win. With a 3-2 score and the tying run on second, Herrera got Jeff Keppinger to ground out.

Herrera has gotten more late-inning situations lately, but manager Dusty Baker has no plans to officially elevate him to a more important role.

"He was pretty important to us last year," Baker said. "The only more important role he can have is to take Arthur Rhodes' spot, and that's not going to happen on the left side. He learned some things last year and made some adjustments during the course of the year. That's the secret -- continue to adjust, especially when they start adjusting to you."

Right-handed hitters are 1-for-17 against Herrera while lefties are 3-for-9.

Reds endure scary flight to St. Louis

ST. LOUIS -- The second leg of the Reds' six-game road trip got off to a hairy start during a charter flight from Houston to St. Louis in the early hours of Friday morning. The team did not land until 2:30 a.m. CT, but not before two landing attempts under windy conditions at Lambert International Airport.

"It was the roughest flight I've been on ever," manager Dusty Baker said. "We were knuckleballing. I heard some tough guys squealing in the back on the way down."

The plane was just above the ground and moments from landing the first time when the pilot decided to pull up and try again.

"The flight attendant told me, 'Dusty, the pilot is going to try two more times. If it doesn't work, we're going to divert somewhere else,'" Baker said. "I don't know where that somewhere else would have been."

The club was able to touch down on the second attempt, but members of the traveling party said it was a hard landing.

"We all gave the pilot some [applause] because he did a heck of a job," Baker said. "That's a large responsibility."

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.