Pirates Press Release
Pirates 2012 parking and traffic tips and information
Expanded Port Authority "T" service offers convenient options for fans
The Pittsburgh Pirates will host the first of three 4:05 p.m. weekday afternoon starts for the remainder of 2012 season starting with Thursday August 9 game vs. the Arizona Diamondbacks. The gates at PNC Park will open for the general public at 2:30 p.m. on the day of the game with pregame scheduled to begin at 3:35 p.m.
Below are tips for parking and traffic information that will be helpful to those fans coming to the games, as well as downtown commuters.
- The Roberto Clemente Bridge will close to vehicular traffic beginning at 1 p.m.
- All parking lots and garages on the North Shore will be closed to downtown commuters.
- North Shore parking near PNC Park will open at 12 p.m. (with event rates).
The Pirates recommend fans, especially families, arrive as early as possible as downtown parking and lots close to PNC Park will become filled quickly.
For fans and families unable to arrive early the Pirates recommend:
- River Avenue Lots
- From West I-376 or East I-376, take I-279 (Ft Duquesne Bridge) northbound to Exit 1D (on right) to Chestnut Ramp (on right); then right on Chestnut Street and right at traffic signal.
- From North I-279, take Exit 2B to East Street and East Ohio Street eastbound to Chestnut Street southbound.
- From North Rte 28, take East Ohio Street to Chestnut Street southbound.
- Grant Street Transportation Center (near Convention Center)
- Enter via Penn Avenue or 12th Street from the 10th Street bypass. Check for space availability via iPhone (ParkPGH); Mobile (m.parkpgh.org); SMS/Text and Voice (412-423-8980).
- Station Square Gateway Clipper Shuttles
- Gateway Clipper will take fans directly to PNC Park from this location. Children under turnstile height (30 inches) are free.
- Carnegie Science Lots
- Fans can enter from Casino Drive and ride the new, free "T" from the Allegheny Station.
- Strip District
- Fans can also find additional parking in the Pittsburgh Strip District.
For Downtown Commuters and Fans:
A new option this season for fans is the free "T" service offered by the Port Authority from the four Golden Triangle stations, as well as the Allegheny Station outside of Heinz Field, to the North Side Station just outside of PNC Park’s Trib-Total Media Home Plate Gate. This new option will not only present additional convenience and value parking options for fans, it also allows families with young children and persons with limited mobility greater ease by reducing their walking distance to PNC Park.
For example, fans can now park at the many garages in the downtown area and ride the "T" to the doorstep of PNC Park for free. Also, fans who prefer to park in lots west of Allegheny Avenue, can now ride the "T" for free from the Allegheny Station outside of Heinz Field to the North Side Station just outside of PNC Park.
In addition, the Port Authority provides a number of convenient bus routes from all over the area with direct access to the North Shore or from the Golden Triangle via the new, free "T".