BALTIMORE -- Once an everyday player, not to mention a World Series winner for the White Sox in 2005, veteran outfielder Scott Podsednik returned to the Major Leagues on Tuesday night as a member of the Boston Red Sox.
With a slew of injuries in their outfield, the Red Sox purchased the contract of Podsednik from Triple-A Pawtucket.
It marked the first time Podsednik has been on a Major League roster since 2010, when he was with the Dodgers.
"I've been around long enough to know that you just never know," said Podsednik. "One day you wake up in Lehigh Valley, a few days later you wake up in Pawtucket, a few days later you wake up in Baltimore. That's the way the game works sometimes."
With the Red Sox facing a lefty on Tuesday, Podsednik was not in manager Bobby Valentine's starting lineup.
"I still feel like I have something left in the tank," said Podsednik. "I'm 36. That's old for a leadoff hitter or a runner, but I'm healthy. I feel great. I'm as strong as I've ever been. I still feel like I can make an impact at this level. The competitive fires are still burning, so I wanted to try to give it another shot."
Podsednik has played in 1,016 Major League games, batting .279 with 41 homers, 300 RBIs and 301 stolen bases.
Ross, Sweeney placed on disabled list
BALTIMORE -- Although Cody Ross was feeling a lot better on Tuesday, the Red Sox still were left with no choice but to place him on the 15-day disabled list.
There was some hope earlier in the day that the crack that was found on his initial MRI was an existing injury instead of a new fracture.
But after further review, it was revealed that Ross does in fact have a fracture in the navicular bone in his left foot, which was the diagnosis the Red Sox revealed on Monday.
"I was just starting to feel good for the first time all year," said Ross. "The team is rolling, we were playing well. It's just obviously a letdown, but they'll hold it down while I'm gone, pick up the slack and we'll be all right."
It has been surreal to see so many Boston outfielders hurt at once. The team's top four outfielders -- Jacoby Ellsbury, Carl Crawford, Ross and Ryan Sweeney -- are all on the disabled list. So, too, are Darnell McDonald, Ryan Kalish and Jason Repko.
"That's amazing," said Ross. "That's probably some sort of record I would assume."
The Red Sox will try and hang in there while Ross heals.
"He feels better, and we got some more information today," said general manager Ben Cherington. "I think more confirmation that this is something he'll recover from with conservative treatment, hopefully sooner rather than later, but a DL is still necessary. We've got to let that thing heal for a while. It's frustrating -- a tough break for him, but we'll get him back as soon as we can."
The general range for that injury is six to eight weeks.
"I'm definitely not going to put a date on it," said Ross. "You guys can ask me all you want. Is it going to be six to eight weeks? Is it going to be two to four weeks? Who knows? It's going to totally depend on how it heals. I feel good. Today I'm walking around normal. It doesn't hurt. That's optimistic. Those are good signs that it can be a quick recovery."
"We've got to get him out of the boot first, then figure out where he is," Cherington said. "We're optimistic that he's feeling better every day. Hopefully it's towards the earlier part of that range, but we'll see.'
Ross wasn't the only outfielder the Red Sox had to shut down on Tuesday. Sweeney, who suffered a concussion from a collision on Saturday, went to the seven-day disabled list, which is in place specifically for players recovering from head injuries.
"In order to be cleared to play, he'll still have to pass that [concussion] test," Cherington said. "We'll just give him some time to feel better. He feels a little better today. Hopefully he feels a little better tomorrow. We'll see where it goes."
Cherington: Sox have a lot of respect for Ortiz
BALTIMORE -- If David Ortiz truly believes, as he told ESPNBoston.com, that he gets "no respect from the media, no respect from the front office," general manager Ben Cherington could not disagree more.
In the article with ESPNBoston.com, Ortiz raised the point that his leadership skills are not appreciated.
"I think David's been a leader on the field and off the field for the entire time in Boston, but certainly this year since I've been GM," Cherington said. "He's stepped up on and off the field, started the first day of Spring Training and reported in great shape. He's played hard, he's run ground balls out, he's done what he needs to do on the field, he's done what he needs to do in the clubhouse. He's been a huge part of our team and a big reason why we've gotten through some tough patches early in the season. We're certainly happy and lucky he's on our side."
Cherington admitted he didn't know the context of the interview Ortiz did following Monday's game.
"It's hard," Cherington said. "I don't know exactly the context of the question that was asked and how it was presented. I think there are moments during a season when especially in a place like this where there's a lot of attention on everything we do, where we get frustrated.
"We're coming off a good win that he was a big part of, so I don't know. Maybe there was something about the way the question was asked that he didn't like. I feel pretty good about our relationship with David, we certainly support him and have a lot of respect for him and want him to be on our side and I'm glad he is."