No movement on Harang-to-LA talks
Cincy source says nothing happened from earlier discussions
CINCINNATI -- Despite a report to the contrary, there have been no new trade talks happening with the Reds and Dodgers regarding starting pitcher Aaron Harang.
Yahoo Sports reported on Tuesday that the Dodgers' pursuit of and chances to land Harang were not dead as reported last week. The story believed the Reds were seeking a prospect to go with lefty reliever George Sherrill to send Harang and $10 million to Los Angeles.A Reds source told MLB.com on Tuesday that the Dodgers did inquire about Harang, but nothing happened from it. Cincinnati was not receptive to the offer that it heard from Los Angeles. With Harang owed $12.5 million in 2010, the Reds aren't likely to pay most of his salary to pitch for someone else, since it wouldn't provide the economically challenged club much relief. Plus, the Reds are already down a starting pitcher, with Edinson Volquez not expected to be ready until mid-season while he rehabilitates from right elbow surgery. And Sherrill seems to be a poor fit, since Cincinnati already has a full complement of left-handed relievers in its bullpen in Arthur Rhodes, Daniel Herrera and Bill Bray. Sherrill is arbitration eligible and earned $2.75 million in 2009, so it wouldn't make economic sense for the Reds either. If Harang is traded, his $12.75 million club option for 2011 would become a $14 million mutual option with a $2.5 million buyout. Coming off two subpar seasons, Harang was 6-14 with a 4.21 ERA in 26 starts in 2009. He was a 16-game winner in both 2006 and '07.
Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.